Autumn Writing Prompts, Essay Ideas, and Fall Writing Activities October 4, 2011
Be sure to check back for the Thanksgiving writing prompts coming soon. You may also enjoy “Back to School Writing Prompts.” Remember: Pattern Based Writing: Quick & Easy Essay is the fastest, most effective way to teach children essay writing… Guaranteed!
If you plant writing success in the fall, you will have a mighty spring harvest! (One can plant in the fall and harvest in the spring? Absolutely!)
Please Note: Alexander Bain’s widely accepted century-old model holds that there are only four modes of discourse: 1) descriptive 2) narrative 3) expository and 4) argument/persuasive. Many of the headings below are “organizational models or patterns” and can be combined with the four main modes of discourse. Example: The “cause and effect pattern” can be expressed in the descriptive, narrative, expository, or argumentative genre.
Autumn Cause and Effect Essay
• Leaves change color in fall. What makes the leaves change color? What effects do the colorful leaves have on the tree, on the environment, and on people?
• The amount of daily sunlight decreases during autumn. What are the causes of this? What are its effects?
• Some students go to summer school – what effect does this have on students once school starts up again in fall?
• The weather changes in fall. How does it change? How does this affect the way people dress? Does the change in weather also affect people’s moods?
• Kids are back in school during the fall – what effect does this have on family life?
• Some people get depressed in autumn. It’s called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). What are some of the causes of SAD? What are its effects?
• Because of daylight savings time clocks are set back one hour in the fall. Why do we do this? What effect does this have?
Autumn Persuasive Essay
• Fall is the beginning of school – kids need to get focused and put summer daydreams behind them.
• There is an old fashion mantra that says one should not wear white after Labor Day (the first Monday in September). Persuade others that this rule of thumb is what keeps the human race civilized… or that it is an outdated way of thinking and must be abolished!
• We set our clocks back one hour in the fall (we fall back one hour). Persuade others that we must stop this disruption to our lives; or that this “falling back” has great benefit.
• There is no debate about this: fall is the best season of the year… or the worst season of the year.
• Having two names for one season (fall and autumn) is confusing. We should simply change the season’s name to “football season!”
• The new TV season begins in fall. Write a persuasive essay for or against television.
Autumn Compare and Contrast Essay
• Fall contains the end of baseball season and the beginning of football season. Compare and contrast the end of baseball season with the beginning of football season.
• In farming, one plants in the spring and harvests in the fall. In school, one plants in the fall and harvests in the spring. Compare and contrast these.
• Fall weather is different in different parts of the country – compare the fall weather where you live to the fall weather in a different part of the county.
• Autumn in the Northern Hemisphere vs. Autumn in the Southern Hemisphere.
• Fall is considered the opposite of spring. Compare and contrast these two seasons.
• Fall vs. Autumn – What’s the Deal?
Autumn Process Essay or How-To Essay
• How to prepare for colder weather on the way.
• Explain to others how to implement excellent learning habit early in the year so that they will reap a wonderful harvest full of rewards in the spring.
• How are kids supposed to have any fun? There are less hours of daylight in the fall compared to summer. Additionally, kids are back in school. Learn how to have fun in the fall.
• How to harvest a crop.
Autumn Expository/Informational Essay
• Many activities are connected to specific seasons of the year. What are some interesting and fun fall activities that you participate in?
• The science of autumn – everything you ever wanted to know about autumn.
• Autumn leaves special report – the real truth!
• The seasons in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere are reversed. Explain why this is so.
• Fall holidays: the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Autumn Story Ideas
• Falling Up: The Year Autumn was Spring
• The Lazy Squirrel Who Gathered No Nuts
• Fall: The Beginning of the End
• The World’s Most Persistent Little Flower
• Leaves Revolt!
• Raining Leaves All Day Long
• A Fall Harvest Gone Bad!
• The Little Apple Who Wouldn’t Fall
• Johnny Appleseed had a Brother? Johnny Pumpkin Seed?
Autumn Descriptive Essay
• Describe the first rainfall of fall.
• Describe the day-by-day change from summer into fall.
• Do a Google search for “fall pictures” and describe what you see. (You will be amazed!) Use your imagination and all five senses to make fall come alive.
Autumn Five-Paragraph Essay
• Three things you don’t know about autumn.
• Three autumn activities.
• Three crops that are harvested in fall.
• Back to school, the apple festival, and Thanksgiving – Fall is Fabulous!
Autumn Narrative/ Personal Narrative Essay
• Fall harvest on the farm…
• An apple’s journey from bud to fall harvest.
• Fall reflections on my journey through life.
• Picking fresh ripe apples straight off the tree…
• Fall holiday stories and tales.
• Grandma’s journey into the autumn of life.
Autumn Response to Literature
• Analyze and respond to some of the autumn poems found here: Autumn Poems for Kids