Christmas Essay & Story Writing Prompts for Kids November 25, 2009
Christmas is a wonderful time of year for student writing. There is a very high level of student motivation! Student interest and motivation stays high when students write about Christmas coming from different angles and with different purposes.
Here is a great list of Christmas essay and story writing ideas! Remember, using “Pattern Based Writing: Quick & Easy Essay” will ensure your students can start and finish any of these wonderful essay and story ideas in under 30 minutes! Now that’s a gift!
Please Note: Alexander Bain’s widely accepted century-old model holds that there are only four modes of discourse: 1) descriptive 2) narrative 3) expository and 4) argument/persuasive. Many of the headings below are “organizational models or patterns” and can be combined with the four main modes of discourse. Example: The “cause and effect pattern” can be expressed in the descriptive, narrative, expository, or argumentative genre.
Christmas Persuasive Essay
• There definitely is a Santa Claus.
• I definitely have been a very good boy or girl this year.
• Christmas is a time to be thinking of others.
• Presents are very important on Christmas Day.
• Presents should not be important on Christmas Day.
• We should have the Christmas spirit all year round.
• How getting everything on my Christmas wish list would make the world a better place.
• Christmas is a time to be thankful and for reflection.
• We should have Christmas twice a year!
Christmas Process Essay or How-To Essay
• A kid’s perfect minute-by-minute plan for Christmas Day.
• The correct way to open Christmas presents.
• How to buy the perfect Christmas present for someone.
• How to make Christmas a special day for the entire family.
• How to prepare for Christmas Day.
• How to wrap a Christmas present.
• Santa’s complete process from getting started until delivering his very last present.
• How to decorate for Christmas.
Christmas Argumentative Essay
• There should be absolutely no arguing on Christmas Day.
• Christmas is the best holiday of them all.
• The real meaning of Christmas is _______
• The Christmas spirit is alive and well.
Christmas Evaluation Essay
• What is the effect that Christmas has on society?
• Has the meaning of Christmas changed over time?
• What would Jesus think of Christmas today?
• Has Christmas become too commercialized?
Christmas Narrative/ Personal Narrative Essay
• A wonderful Christmas memory.
• My favorite present I ever GAVE.
• Christmas shopping with my family.
• My favorite part of Christmas.
• Family time on Christmas.
• Christmas traditions in my family.
• The best Christmas ever.
• Funny happenings on Christmas day.
• Memorable presents.
Christmas Cause and Effect Essay
• How I feel when I give on Christmas Day.
• How the birth of Jesus affected our world.
• How the Christmas spirit affects people’s behavior and attitude.
• Preparations for Christmas Day and the outcomes of all that hard work.
• What effect does all the Christmas media promotion have?
Christmas Expository/Informational Essay
• The real truth about Santa Claus. The history of Santa Claus.
• The history of Christmas.
• Christmas through the ages.
• Christmas traditions.
• Facts about Christmas.
• The symbols and symbolism of Christmas.
• The first Christmas.
Christmas Descriptive Essay
• Describe opening presents.
• How I felt opening presents, eating delicious food, and spending time with family and friends.
• Describe the Christmas spirit or Christmas energy.
• Describe who you celebrate Christmas with. What makes them unique or special to celebrate with?
• Describe the sights, sounds, and smells of when you first walk out to the tree on Christmas morning.
• Describe how the anticipation and excitement of Christmas makes you feel.
• Describe the sights, sounds, and smells of Christmas.
Christmas Five-Paragraph Essay
• Three reasons…
• Three signs…
• Three presents…
• Three traditions…
• Three signs that Christmas is just around the corner.
• Three reasons I love Christmas.
Christmas Compare and Contrast Essay
• Christmas now compared to Christmas when I was “young.”
• What used to be important to me about Christmas compared to what is important about Christmas to me now.
• The day before Christmas, Christmas Day, and the day after Christmas.
• Giving vs. receiving.
• Christmas for kids compared to Christmas for adults.
• Christmas traditions in different cultures.
• Christmas without Santa Claus compared to Christmas with Santa Claus.
Christmas Story Ideas
• A Christmas miracle.
• The greatest present ever.
• People in need on Christmas.
• The real story of Christmas.
• The day after Christmas.
• The day I met Santa Claus.
• Wooah…CRASH… Santa?
• Wow… Look at that star!
Be sure to check out the “Pattern Based Writing: Quick & Easy Essay” writing program at the home page. Also, be sure to download your FREE 59-page “Guide to Writing” once you get to the homepage!