Writing Prompts and Story Ideas – Summer
Be sure to learn more about how to use writing prompts with students here:
1. Using Writing Prompts with Kids: Tips, Tricks, Pros and Cons of Writing Prompts
Wishing you and your students total essay writing success! Have a great summer!
Please Note: Alexander Bain’s widely accepted century-old model holds that there are only four modes of discourse: 1) descriptive 2) narrative 3) expository and 4) argument/ persuasive. Many of the headings below are “organizational models or patterns” and can be combined with the four main modes of discourse. Example: The “cause and effect pattern” can be expressed in the descriptive, narrative, expository, or argumentative genre.
Summertime Cause and Effect Essay
• My lazy days cause my parents to…
• It gets hotter and hotter and hotter and pretty soon everyone is…
• I goofed off all school year and now I pay the price in summer.
• I worked hard all school year and my parents are really proud of my effort. Now it’s summer.
• The causes and effects of a sunburn.
• Kids have summer vacation – what effect does this have on parents?
• In the pool and at the beach all day — what’s the effect?
Summertime Persuasive Essay
• Summer should be the same length as the school year.
• Parents must not over program kids during the summer. Summer is our time to relax.
• In this modern age, summer vacation is too long and should be reduced to something more reasonable.
• Summer vacation should be a time for self-learning. Students must engage in learning activities over the summer.
• Summertime is fun time. No work! All fun!
• Families must take at least one family vacation during the summer.
• This is how you should spend your summer…
• Going to camp is terrible — or going to camp is great!
Summertime Process Essay / How-To Essay
• Step-by-step guide to having fun in the sun.
• How to eat a Popsicle in the summertime heat without dripping a drop.
• How to plan out your summer.
• How to have fun at the beach.
• How to stay cool on hot, hot days.
• Steps to making your parents happy during the summer.
Summertime Argumentative Essay
• The real purpose of summer vacation is…
• Summer is better than winter…
Summertime Evaluation Essay
• How summer vacation affects students’ mental attitude for the following year.
• How summer vacation has changed from the days when summer vacation was based on the agricultural growing cycle.
• Is summer vacation an outdated tradition that is not valid in these modern times?
• Who needs summer vacation more, teachers or students?
Summertime Narrative/ Personal Narrative Essay
• Remembering summers past.
• A special summer vacation family trip.
• The greatest summer ever.
• My family, my friends, and me… all summer long.
• When the air conditioner broke.
• My parents put me to work.
• Fun times.
Summertime Expository/Informational Essay
• History of summer vacation.
• Summer vacation through the ages.
• Things you can do to keep busy over summer vacation.
• Fun ways of learning over summer vacation.
• Different kinds of summer camp.
• Summer around the world.
• Movies about hot summers.
Summertime Descriptive Essay
• It was a hot and humid night…
• Describe how it feels on the hottest day of summer.
• See, hear, feel, and taste all summer long.
• Describe how summer is.
Summertime Five-Paragraph Essay
• Three things you must absolutely do in the summer.
• The three stages of summer.
• Summer days – morning, afternoon, and nighttime.
• Three reasons summer is…
• Summer with friends, family, and camp.
• Working, playing, and learning… all summer long.
Summertime Compare and Contrast Essay
• Summer for kids compared to summer for adults.
• Summertime before air conditioning compared to summer now.
• A working summer compared to a fun summer.
• My perfect summer compared to how my parents want me to spend my summer.
• Summertime for young kids compared to summertime for older kids.
• This summer compared to last summer.
• What makes summer good? What makes summer bad?
• Summer for teachers vs. summer for students
Summertime Story Ideas
• Back on the farm — the hot summer days…
• The New Global Warming Summer Filled with Dry, Hot, Heat
• An amazing summer with dolphins.
• Splish, Splash, Crash!
• Warning: Record Heat!
• The Snowy Summer
• Straight A’s and Fun!
Have a great summer!
P.S. Be sure to download your FREE “Classic Summer Poems Collection” EBOOK!